It's likely that an unpopular war will have its worst year yet.
Let's hope that the worldwide events of 2008 don't match 1968, though. Let's review, in roughly chronologic order, how much fun that year brought us:
- The Prague Spring and its bloody and depressing end
- The Tet Offensive.
- The My Lai massacre
- The May revolution in France
- Martin Luther King is assassinated
- Robert F. Kennedy is assassinated
- The Pope forbids birth control
- Saddam Hussein takes power in Iraq
- The 1968 Democratic Convention dissolves into rioting and out of control police brutality; delegates and others are beaten in the streets; Daley engineers the nomination of Hubert Humphrey.
- The Tlatelolco Massacre in Mexico City: the army kills hundreds of people, most of them students demonstrating against the government.
- Nixon becomes president.
Note: links are to Wikipedia because I am lazy.