|Tap tap tap it's the newswire
||[Jun. 21st, 2006|02:37 pm]
The American Caliban
- Here's how to dissuade Iraqis from suicide bomb and IED attacks: we've gone and made a television commercial urging them not to. I especially like the description of the group that funded it: I call them an independent, non-governmental group of scholars, non political people," says Plotkin. "Some may live in Iraq, some may live abroad. For a variety of different reasons—from safety concerns to wanting the focus to remain on the issue itself, they decided to remain anonymous."
- In other War Pigs news, the fighter jets are going to have IP addresses now.
- NEOLOGISM ALERT: "Bro Job."
- Here's a bright idea. If you're painting lots of things, capture the fumes and use them for power.
- Headline of the day! NUDE WORM TEMPTS WORLD CUP FANS
- Sure, it's an oppressive technology that'l be used to disrupt free expression, but I still want a Ghostbusters-style slimer for Christmas.
- SMS isn't just for teen hookups. It's for desperate cries for help sent to aid organizations, too.
- There's a good summary of the net neutrality problem from Joan Blades via an interview on Feministing.
- Congresscritters here are trying variations on the captcha to keep bots and other automation from emailing them, with predictably comic effect.
- You may insert your own "Dude, you're..." punchline to this exploding Dell laptop story and photo.
- Wouldn't it be a larf if we overfished so much that we ran out of fish oil and all got real stupid? Alarmist, I know, but...
- Now the Sheriffs Dept is in on the action using tiny drone airplanes to spy on us. Extra points for the name of the company making them: "Octatron".
- Typos can be embarrassing or confusing. At times they can also result in massive litigation!
- Louisiana is still trying to find a way to get money from nutria somehow even though no one wants to eat them, make coats out of them, or even really meet one.
- You know that guy who volunteers a lot, runs for local office a lot, thinks pretty highly of himself, is always not only a vet but a Special Forces combat vet? Turns out he's a multiple murderer instead. (Reg. required, use bugmenot etc.)